What is the Menaje de Casa and how do I use it to move my household goods to Mexico?

With regard to moving your household goods through a commercial mover such as Best Mexico Movers, the Menaje de Casa is the method whereby the Mexican government allows foreigners (and in some cases, Mexican nationals as well) to bring certain classes and amounts of their used household goods into Mexico one time, tax free.

There are very specific rules and there is a very specific process you need to follow in order to be in compliance with the Menaje de Casa, and non-compliance is no joke—there can be fines, confiscations, etc., and ignorance is no defense.

That said, it is not difficult to comply if you know the rules, which may very well be different depending on your visa status, the method by which your household goods enter Mexico, and where your household goods cross into Mexico.

In all cases, you will need an inventory created in a specific way, especially with regard to electric / electronic items.  There are other documents you will need as well, including letters written in grammatically correct Spanish containing certain information and in a certain format.  You will also need a licensed customs broker and it is an extremely good idea to use one who is familiar with the Menaje de Casa (because most customs brokers don’t) and the particular procedure followed in the geographical location where your goods will cross into Mexico.

It’s not intellectually difficult, but you do have to know and follow the rules and work with people who have experience and who do the same.  As written above, the Mexican government treats non-compliance very seriously.

Interested to see how we can help you?  Just give us a call now at our US or Canada phone number 1 (520) 940-0481, or send us an email using our contact form.